Did you know, there are more than 50 important deadlines across the UK and US for your tax related obligations? We’ve put together a summary of your obligations for 2020.
US Income Tax Deadlines, 2020
January 15th, 2020:
- Deadline to pay the fourth quarter estimated tax payment for tax year 2019.
January 31st, 2020:
- Deadline for employers to mail out W-2 Forms to their employees and for businesses to furnish 1099 Forms reporting, among other things, non employee compensation, bank interest, dividends, and distributions from a retirement plan.
February 18th, 2020:
- Deadline for financial institutions to mail out Form 1099-B relating to sales of stock, bonds, or mutual funds through a brokerage account, Form 1099-S relating to real estate transactions; and Form 1099-MISC if the sender is reporting payments in boxes 8 or 14 .
February 28th, 2020:
- Deadline for businesses to mail Forms 1099 and 1096 to the IRS .
March 16th, 2020:
- Deadline to file partnership tax returns (Form 1065) or to request an automatic five-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).
- Deadline to file corporate tax returns (Forms 1120, 1120-A, and 1120-S) or to request an automatic six-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).
April 15th, 2019:
- Deadline to file individual tax returns (Form 1040 & Form 1040-NR) for the year tax 2019 or to request an automatic extension (Form 4868). An extension provides an extra six months to file your return. Payment of the tax is still due by April 15. You can submit payment for any taxes you owe along with the extension form.
- For foreign trust beneficiaries or recipients of gifts from foreign persons the Form 3520, the gift tax return (Form 709) and the expatriation return (Form 8854) are all due by the extended deadline of the individual tax return.
- First-quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2020 tax year.
- Deadline to file estate income tax or trust income tax returns for a calendar year (Form 1041) or to request an automatic five-month extension of time to file (Form 7004).
June 1st, 2020:
- Deadline for financial institutions to send out Form 5498 to report balances in an individual retirement account (IRA).
June 15th, 2020:
- Second-quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2020 tax year.
- Deadline for U.S. citizens living abroad to file individual tax returns or file Form 4868 for an automatic 4-month extension.
September 15th, 2020:
- Third-quarter estimated tax payments due for the 2020 tax year
- Final deadline to file corporate tax returns, if an extension was requested.
October 1st, 2020:
- Deadline for self-employed individuals or small employers to establish a SIMPLE-IRA.
October 15th, 2020:
- Deadline for taxpayers who earned $69,000 or less in tax year 2019 to use Free File to prepare and file their returns.
- Final deadline to fund a SEP-IRA or solo 401(k) for tax year 2019, if an automatic extension was requested.
UK Tax Deadlines, 2020
HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) must receive your tax return and any money you owe by the deadline.
The last tax year started on 6th April 2019 and will end on the 5th April 2020.
Self Assessment Tax Returns
31st January, 2020 (Midnight):
- Online tax returns
- Pay the tax you owe
Need help with your taxes?
Our experienced tax partners at Ingleton deliver a holistic service, developing long lasting client relationships built on trust. Our qualified practitioners will take care of all aspects of your transatlantic taxes, including preparation of your tax returns and tax planning, disclosure and streamlined offshore programs, wealth management and more.