Certifying Acceptance Agent

If a taxpayer is not qualified to receive a social security number, they are still able to file taxes using an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). This unique number is issued by the Internal Revenue Service and is used to help foreign individuals comply with U.S. tax laws

What is an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a nine-digit number that assists foreign taxpayers in filing a tax return. Both resident and nonresident aliens, their spouses, and their dependents can apply for an ITIN if they aren’t eligible for a social security number. Unlike many other forms of identification, an ITIN is solely used for tax purposes. It does not qualify you for Social Security benefits, authorize work in the U.S, or qualify a dependent for Earned Income Tax Credit Purposes.

What is a Certified Acceptance Agent?

An ITIN Certified Acceptance Agent is a person who is authorized by the IRS to help taxpayers obtain an ITIN.

Ingleton Partners are approved ITIN Certifying Acceptance Agents and can submit your application and approve your documentation.

The Certified Acceptance Agent has the power to review ITIN applications and supporting documentation.

We provide a certified copy of the acceptable ID documents and issue a Certificate of Accuracy to the IRS.

We submit the full application to the IRS thereby streamlining the process for the applicant and reducing the likelihood that your application will be delayed or rejected by the Internal Revenue Service. If there are any issues, your agent can communicate directly with the IRS to resolve them.

We will send a completed W-7 form, a certificate of accuracy, copies of required documents, and tax return information or exception documents directly to the IRS for processing. This means that the applicant does not have to send original documents to the IRS.

Reasons for Requiring an ITIN

The main reasons for applying for an ITIN include the following:

  • You need to file a US Tax return (e.g. Form 1040 or 1040-NR)
  • You have received US Sourced Income
  • You are a Non-Resident Spouse or Dependent of a US Citizen or Resident
  • You are making a claim for a US tax refund (e.g. reclaiming US taxes withheld on dividends or royalties)
  • You have a US Bank or Investment account
  • You have sold (or intend to sell) US Real Estate